The SemiPack Superiority | BGA Modification & Component Reballing
Over the past 11+ years, SemiPack Services has continually invested mechanical and process engineering support in an effort to refine the skill sets and available technologies for our BGA modification operations. With the implementation of full robotic automation in concert with the alignment and placement of solder spheres technology, SemiPack has developed expertise in processing Die-Size (Micro) BGAs as small as 1mm by 1mm with exact placement, alignment, and ball attach, as well as the larger footprints of 30mm by 30mm.
BGA MODIFICATION & SYSTEM QUALIFICATIONS
SemiPack’s FR-1418 BGA system is a self-contained metrology unit. It consists of a non-contact confocal chromatic white light line sensor with one or more objectives, a two-axis frictionless linear motor system, a computer, and proprietary analysis software. SemiPack has implemented and dedicated its capabilities to have full robotic technology for these larger footprints with automation from RPS’ Vector 360, which provides both conversions RoHS (Lead-Free) to Solder (63/37) and Leaded (Sn63/Pb37) to Lead-Free (SAC 305). SemiPack Services continues to re-invest in its BGA modification operations to meet the demands in both the growth rate and advancements in technologies and automaton.
SemiPack Services is ISO 9001/AS9100 Rev D certified/ & ITAR registered, providing the military, aerospace/avionics, commercial, and automotive markets the highest quality expected for BGA reballed devices. Our qualification standards follow the protocol listed in IEC/TS 62647-4, Process Management for Avionics & Defense Systems that contain Lead-Free Solder. These technologies and expertise afford SemiPack Services to meet the quick-turn demand at both the low-volume pre-production applications as well as the high-volume production requirements and sets us apart as a global provider for these BGA value-added services.
PRE/POST BGA REBALLING QUALIFICATION TESTS
PRE & PROCESS QUALIFICATION TESTS INCLUDE:
- Visual Inspections (Pre & Post Process)
- XRF Test
- Ionic Cleanliness
POST-PROCESS QUALIFICATION TESTS INCLUDE:
- Visual Inspection
- XRF Test
- Solderability Test
- Solarius BGA Metrology System: 3D Optical Inspection-Measurement: Sphere Diameter/Placement & Co-Planarity.
- The Solarius BGA Metrology System was designed for characterizing singulated device physical parameters. The system is a derivative of the SolarSprint general metrology system, and also maintains the general metrology capability of that platform.
- Other Testing can include Ball-Shear, CSAM, and DPA where applicable.
J-STD COMPLIANCE & MIL-STD COMPLIANCE FROM SEMIPACK
J-STD SPECIFICATIONS INCLUDE:
- J-STD 006- Requirements for electronic grade solder alloys and fluxed and non-fluxed solid solders for electronic soldering applications
- J-STD 033- Joint IPC/JEDEC standard for handling, packing, shipping, and use of moisture/reflow sensitive surface-mount devices
- J-STD-004- Describes general requirements for classifying and testing of rosin, resin, organic, and inorganic fluxes for high-quality interconnections.
- J-STD-020- A joint standard developed by the IPC Plastic Chip Carrier Cracking Task Group (B-10a) and the JEDEC JC-14.1 Committee on Reliability Test Methods for Packaged Devices.
MIL-STD SPECIFICATIONS INCLUDE:
- MIL-STD 883- Establishes uniform methods, controls, and procedures for testing microelectronic devices suitable for use within military and aerospace electronic systems, including basic environmental tests to determine resistance to deleterious effects of natural elements and conditions.
- MIL-STD 750- Establishes uniform methods for testing semiconductor devices, including basic environmental tests to determine resistance to deleterious effects of natural elements and conditions surrounding military operations and physical/electrical tests.
- MIL-STD 202- Establishes uniform methods for testing electronic and electrical component parts, including basic environmental tests to determine resistance to deleterious effects of natural elements and conditions surrounding military operations and physical/electrical tests.